At Ladybird Pre-School Nursery we provide an environment in which all children, including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), are supported to reach their full potential.
- We have regard for the current DfES SEND Code of Practice.
- We ensure our provision is inclusive of all children with SEND.
- We support parents/carers and children with SEND.
- We identify the specific needs of children with SEND and meet those needs through a range of SEND strategies.
- We work in partnership with parents/carers and other agencies in meeting an individual child’s needs.
- We monitor and review our policy, practice and provision and, if necessary, make adjustments.
- We designate a member of staff to be the SEND Co-ordinator (SENDCo) and give her name to parents/carers. Our SENDCo is Kate Daniels. She attends relevant courses to ensure her training is up to date. Our deputy SENDCo is Yvonne May.
- We ensure that the provision for children with SEND is the responsibility of all members of the nursery and discuss this at every staff meeting.
- We ensure that our inclusive admissions practice ensures equality of access and opportunity.
- We use the graduated response system for identifying, assessing and responding to children’s SEND. Starting with information from the parents/carers and/or our observations, along with help and guidance from an Early Years Advisor (with the parent’s/carer’s permission).
- We work closely with parents/carers of children with SEND to create and maintain a positive partnership.
- We ensure the parents/carers are informed at all stages of the assessment, planning, provision and review of their child’s education.
- We can provide parents/carers with information on sources of independent advice and support.
- We liaise with other professionals involved with children with SEND and their families, including transfer arrangements to other nurseries and schools. (Please see Transition Policy).
- Transition will be supported by the SENDCo and the child’s keyworker.
- We provide a broad, balanced and differentiated curriculum for all children with SEND.
- We use a system of planning, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reviewing individual education plans (IEPs) for children with SEND.
- These IEPs are shared every six to eight weeks, or sooner if necessary, with the parents/carers.
- We ensure that children with SEND are appropriately involved at all stages of the graduated response, taking into account their levels of ability.
- We use a system for keeping records of the assessment, planning, provision and review for children with SEND.
- We provide resources (human and financial) to implement our SEND policy.
- We will research any specific needs and will attend appointments for example play therapy or speech and language sessions that will be of benefit to the child.
- We ensure the effectiveness of our SEND provision by collecting information from a range of sources e.g. IEP reviews, staff and management meetings, SENDCO network meetings parental and external agencies views, inspections and complaints.
- We provide a complaints procedure.
- We monitor and review our policy annually.
Ladybird Pre-School Nursery is built on one level, with wide access doors to all parts of the building. We have a fully accessible toilet.
We will seek to supply/adapt equipment as necessary on the advice of supporting agencies to help any child be integrated at all times. When the nursery is closed for reasons out of our control, for example during a pandemic, we offer special provision to our vulnerable children to encourage structure and support.